Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Mondays are a bummer (STATIONS)

Tuesday's only fair. Wednesday's getting better...Thursday's almost there...

Ok. Its only Tuesday but today was WAY better than yesterday. Monday was a BADD day. Between it being Monday, the high stake testing in the morning, and Halloween week, Monday was such a bad day. The kids just would not listen... they were not even reading what I gave them.

This week I started a new leaf with the kids. We are trying stations. There are three or four stations that the kids are working on. I thought it was a GREAT idea. The kids... well. I think it is a change that they are not so willing to go with. A change in routine seems to throw them off totally. Next week is going to be interesting for them.

They are going to start being held accountable for their work. Each class period students are going to get a grade. It might be a check or a minus or a plus but each time they are in my class they will get one. This will help keep them accountable. Some of the kids are going to be confused when they find out they are failing technology.

As for the stations. students will be at one station for two class periods. The stations include:
  • story starters. writing their own story starters which will evolve into writing a story with another groups starters
  • vocabulary words in inspiration. defining their weekly vocabulary words on the computer making a long list that we can print
  • powerpint. students are changing a pre-made slide into a unique slide. showing basic skills in powerpoint.
  • typing. Students are using the internet to practice their touch typing skills.

Like I said, I think these are great ways to use the skills that we have aquired so far this year. As they get used to the stations, I can change the activites to reflect new programs. That way the old stations studetns will know what to do and I can teach to a small group. Hopefully this works. I will keep you updated.

As for Tuesday. Tuesday was a good day minus my worst class. What am I supposed to do when students run out of class? There really is nothing I can do but let them go because I have 20 other kids in the room that need to be tended to.

Later yall.

No comments: