Tuesday, November 06, 2007

Professional Development

It was a professional development here in the great city of New York. That means that the students got the day off and teachers spent the day in meetings.

Today I was lumped with the k-2 teachers. This is all good, they are a good group of people. But at the same time.. I wonder if there would have been a better more productive place for me. The entire day was centered around data.. how to read and use data from tests to help students. Now see. I have 400+ students, I don't have their test data. I also do not test them. So data you ask.. o right. I have none. So when they were talking about grouping students for reading and reading centers.. I got nothing. Then we moved on to data and math. Again..nothing. Then after lunch is was reading some more.. again NOTHING!!! Basically the entire day I sat listening and doing lesson plans. During the last session the assistant principal started asking me if I wanted to do technology forever. I told her that I would rather integrate technology into my classes but I am happy where I am for now. She also stated that this must be hard for me to do since I do not currently teach reading. I think she was probing. Shes not the first to do it, so it should be interesting.

I do hope to have my own classroom next year. I cant wait to teach my own class. To be able to know my kids as well as these teachers know their kids. I cannot wait. I love my technology job, don't get me wrong, so it will be an interesting year.

Ok... back to the salt mines.. or my computer game. We shall see.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hope you used the principals' questions as an opportunity to communicate about the problems you are having and ask for assistance.

Mom

Anonymous said...

if i were you i wouldent vent about work this much. you never know who is reading??????????????????