Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Frustrating days

So. My question to all the teachers out there. How do you get 25 kindergartners to sit still when you only see them once a week for 45 minutes? Between the kids who are doing cartwheels on the carpet to those who are jumping off tables, it makes me quesiton my idea to move here sometimes. Mainly Wednesdays when I have three kinder classes in a row.

I am trying to assume that they wouldn't be that way if I was their regular teacher and some authority.... I am hoping that if I was a regular teacher. That is part of the reason that I want my own classroom. But at the same time, my job would be amazing if the students respected me. It would be so fun if the students sat down and acutally listened once and a while. We shall see...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I just did my fall practicum in kindergarten, the trick is to not let them get there, at least with my kids. So as soon as they are losing it you have to bring it back it "If you are listening put your hands on your head,...." and than the last one is always "clap your hands together and put them quietly in your lap" I used to have to do it a lot but they got way better ... another thing that kindergateners hate is being separated from the group, so if you send them out of circle to a table or out into the hall or something, just for a few minutes even ... there is one child who i have to do almost daily but after the first time i send him to a table he is fine for the rest of the day .... but good luck with everything, I hope that some of this helps .... oh and this is Julie T from U of O